As many as 11 safety vulnerabilities have been disclosed in Nagios community administration methods, a few of which might be chained to realize pre-authenticated distant code execution with the best privileges, in addition to result in credential theft and phishing assaults.
Industrial cybersecurity agency Claroty, which found the failings, mentioned flaws in instruments akin to Nagios make them a horny goal owing to their “oversight of core servers, gadgets, and different vital parts within the enterprise community.” The problems have since been mounted in updates launched in August with Nagios XI 5.8.5 or above, Nagios XI Change Wizard 2.5.7 or above, Nagios XI Docker Wizard 1.13 or above, and Nagios XI WatchGuard 1.4.8 or above.
“SolarWinds and Kaseya had been possible focused not solely due to their giant and influential buyer bases, but additionally due to their respective applied sciences’ entry to enterprise networks, whether or not it was managing IT, operational know-how (OT), or web of issues (IoT) gadgets,” Claroty’s Noam Moshe said in a write-up printed Tuesday, noting how the intrusions focusing on the IT and community administration provide chains emerged as a conduit to compromise 1000’s of downstream victims.
Nagios Core is a well-liked open-source community well being software analogous to SolarWinds Community Efficiency Monitor (NPM) that is used for retaining tabs on IT infrastructure for efficiency points and sending alerts following the failure of mission-critical parts. Nagios XI, a proprietary web-based platform constructed atop Nagios Core, supplies organizations with prolonged perception into their IT operations with scalable monitoring and a customizable high-level overview of hosts, providers, and community gadgets.
Chief among the many points are two distant code execution flaws (CVE-2021-37344, CVE-2021-37346) in Nagios XI Change Wizard and Nagios XI WatchGuard Wizard, an SQL injection vulnerability (CVE-2021-37350) in Nagios XI, and a server-side request forgery (SSRF) affecting Nagios XI Docker Wizard, in addition to a post-authenticated RCE in Nagios XI’s Auto-Discovery software. The complete list of 11 flaws is as follows –
- CVE-2021-37343 (CVSS rating: 8.8) – A path traversal vulnerability exists in Nagios XI beneath model 5.8.5 AutoDiscovery element and will result in post-authenticated RCE underneath the safety context of the consumer working Nagios.
- CVE-2021-37344 (CVSS rating: 9.8) – Nagios XI Change Wizard earlier than model 2.5.7 is susceptible to distant code execution by improper neutralization of particular components utilized in an OS Command (OS Command injection).
- CVE-2021-37345 (CVSS rating: 7.8) – Nagios XI earlier than model 5.8.5 is susceptible to native privilege escalation as a result of xi-sys.cfg is being imported from the var listing for some scripts with elevated permissions.
- CVE-2021-37346 (CVSS rating: 9.8) – Nagios XI WatchGuard Wizard earlier than model 1.4.8 is susceptible to distant code execution by Improper neutralization of particular components utilized in an OS Command (OS Command injection).
- CVE-2021-37347 (CVSS rating: 7.8) – Nagios XI earlier than model 5.8.5 is susceptible to native privilege escalation as a result of getprofile.sh doesn’t validate the listing title it receives as an argument.
- CVE-2021-37348 (CVSS rating: 7.5) – Nagios XI earlier than model 5.8.5 is susceptible to native file inclusion by an improper limitation of a pathname in index.php.
- CVE-2021-37349 (CVSS rating: 7.8) – Nagios XI earlier than model 5.8.5 is susceptible to native privilege escalation as a result of cleaner.php doesn’t sanitize enter learn from the database.
- CVE-2021-37350 (CVSS rating: 9.8) – Nagios XI earlier than model 5.8.5 is susceptible to SQL injection vulnerability in Bulk Modifications Instrument on account of improper enter sanitization.
- CVE-2021-37351 (CVSS rating: 5.3) – Nagios XI earlier than model 5.8.5 is susceptible to insecure permissions and permits unauthenticated customers to entry guarded pages by a crafted HTTP request to the server.
- CVE-2021-37352 (CVSS rating: 6.1) – An open redirect vulnerability exists in Nagios XI earlier than model 5.8.5 that might result in spoofing. To take advantage of the vulnerability, an attacker might ship a hyperlink that has a specially-crafted URL and persuade the consumer to click on the hyperlink.
- CVE-2021-37353 (CVSS rating: 9.8) – Nagios XI Docker Wizard earlier than model 1.1.3 is susceptible to SSRF on account of improper sanitization in table_population.php
In a nutshell, the failings might be mixed by attackers to drop an online shell or execute PHP scripts and elevate their privileges to root, thus attaining arbitrary command execution within the context of the basis consumer. As a proof-of-concept, Claroty chained CVE-2021-37343 and CVE-2021-37347 to realize a write-what-where primitive, permitting an attacker to put in writing content material to any file within the system.
“[Network management systems] require in depth belief and entry to community parts with a purpose to correctly monitor community behaviors and efficiency for failures and poor effectivity,” Moshe mentioned.
“They could additionally lengthen outdoors your community by the firewall to take care of distant servers and connections. Subsequently, these centralized methods could be a tasty goal for attackers who can leverage such a community hub, and try to compromise it with a purpose to entry, manipulate, and disrupt different methods.”
The disclosure is the second time practically dozen vulnerabilities have been disclosed in Nagios. Earlier this Could, Skylight Cyber revealed 13 security weaknesses within the community monitoring utility that might be abused by an adversary to hijack the infrastructure with none operator intervention.